Monday, January 23, 2012

First Day of Blogging about Ulcerative Colitis

I just went tot he doctor's today. I've been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis since 2009. I had it since 2008. For a year I had extreme diarrheah with blood in my stool (so from 2008 - 2009). I was working during this time and it was awful. Finally, after plenty of doctors' visits and a colonoscopy, they diagnosed me. As soon as I started taking the medication (prednisone) after the first dose I was better. I took the prednisone for about two months. I was supposed to take Asacol, but it hurt my bones too much. After three months I stopped taking Asacol and took Vitality 6 vitamins from Melaleuca. The vitamins held me over for about two years until October 2011. I stopped taking the vitamins in September of 2011 to try to save some money as the vitamins are around $75 per month. I think that is what started the Ulcerative Colitis attack. In October 2011 my Ulcerative Colitis became so bad I couldn't even drink water. The sickness was very gradual. I could eat, but it upset my stomach, then it got worse and worse to the point where I couldn't eat or drink. My friend said I should really go to the hospital, so I did. I regretted it. The walk-in clinic sent me to the regular hospital to be admitted. I started crying (humiliating) not because of the pain, but because I didn't want my colon taken out. I was scared, not in pain, but I think the people who worked there figured I was in pain. I told them I wasn't, but sometimes it doesn't matter what you say to doctors and nurses. So the doctors put me on IV Solu-Medrol. I was on that for four, almost five days. The entire time there was barely any difference in my colon (I could only eat very little still, but it improved, and I could drink, but basically only water). I got out of there after five days. I really dislike being in the hospital. I was about to just get up and leave regardless of what anyone told me when they let me out.

It has been a couple of months since then. I am still not better. It is now January 23rd. I was admitted to the hospital November 11th, so I guess it is almost two months and my Ulcers are still really bad. I am still on Prednisone. I am cutting back on the Prednisone until I am not taking it anymore, but it will take a while. You have to cut back really slowly on that or it makes you really ill. At the visit to the doctor's today we discussed removing my colon. I can't get in to discuss this with the surgeon until March 15th. There is a shortage of gastroenterology surgeons in this area. It's really horrifying thinking of them removing my colon. I told the doctor (Dr. Spellmen) that I was pretty sure I'd rather die than have my colon removed, but after having a blessing at church I thought maybe I should just live. Which is why I am looking into surgery. It is so sickening to think of having someone cut my colon out. I would have to have a colostomy bag for three months and then they would attach my small intestine to my rectum. They would leave my bum muscles intact, but remove my colon totally. I am horrified as I've mentioned. The doctor said that there are professional athletes with their colons removed. He said I will probably be fine. Plus, I must stay alive for the kids. It's GREAT for losing weight though!! You want to get skinny, get Ulcerative Colitis. I'm at my goal weight of 135 lbs. Woo hooo! One bright side of the situation.

I wanted to try a strict diet first, to see if it will work. I guess I have until March 15th anyway when I see the surgeon. I will be really strict and eat only cream of wheat, water, vitamins and bland, bland things.

No comments:

Post a Comment